Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Day two..a little bit more activities

Today was my second day for the field hockey program at the Boys and Girls club in Lawrence. It was probably the craziest one out of the two days. Today I mostly had all boys near the end. Some girls were there in the beginning, but then decided to leave by the end because the boys started to take over. The kids were mostly around a young age today such as 11 to 12. 
    I started out the day at 3:30 p.m with telling the kids to get in a circle and stand shoulder width apart. Each kid had such a trouble listening instead of talking to the kid that was next to them this drove me insane, I would say I am going to not talk over anyone today and if it seems like I am talking over people then I am going to send them inside. So the kids then started to listen to what we were going to do for the day. After they were all lined up and said every ones name I then told them we were going to play a game. I explain the game to them it was a game that I once did in practice, where you stand shoulder width part from each other and have two of your left fingers on the top end of the stick and then you would let go of your stick and try to catch the person off to your left stick when they drop it. This activity was just a way for kids to be able to start right off to listening and understanding drills that need attention too. It was hard for some of the kids to figure out what we were doing, so we had a couple of practice rounds. Then once we got down to the last two this one girl won. So after that we got into passing and learning how to pass with partners. After passing we went straight into who can bounce the ball on the stick in the air. I told them whoever could bounce the ball 10 times would win a piece of candy from me. So they all were working hard and practicing hard. I also demonstrated the kids were so amazed that I could do it passed 10 and they asked how do you do that and I told them its all hard work and practicing to do something that you really want to learn..right then and there I would call that the teaching point of the day. The kids then went off and practiced and practiced. They then all came up wanting to show me they could do 10. 
  After all the passing and dribbling the ball, I told them we were going to play another game that has the kids have a team captain and they pick the people on the team. So I agreed and they picked teams and I told them to be far and pick people who they don't know, and just their Friends. Then I gave each person on the two teams a number from 1 to 11. They I would throw the ball into the middle of both teams and  put two goals down on each side for each team to score in. I call this game numbers keep away. This got the kids crazy because they would think one team was cheating and the other one didn't play right. So we played this for a couple of rounds and then called it a day at 5:30. The kids were in love with playing with the sticks today. they are excited to come out tomorrow. 
   At around 5:3o I went upstairs and started to help with tutoring at around 6:15. The kids that didn't finish there homework I was there to help them out. The kids at the Boys and Girls club are so awesome you can see the look in there eyes when they just want to have fun, that look makes me want to come back for more every day. Its also that look that shows that they can have fun here and just enjoy having stress and peer pressure from their homes. 
These kids are awesome. It makes me appreciate what I have in my life. 

p.s the pictures are going to come at the end of the week. Hopefully.

No comments: