Wednesday, May 21, 2008

May 21

Today I went to the club at around 11:00 and did some community service around the pool area, gym and game area. I helped the faculty fix tables, and set up for the kids who were t arrive later on that day. Then at around 1 o’clock I left because I had an opportunity to play at the Proctor softball at Phillips Exeter Academy. After playing the game I drove back to Lawrence and showed up at the club at around 4:30 and started to help some kids out in the homework room for about a half hour. Then I decided to bring out the field hockey sticks and played in the gym because it was raining outside. Although the kids were upset that they couldn't’t go outside their spirits were quickly uplifted when they saw the speed of the ball on the plastic floor. We scrimmaged for a half hour in which the kids picked teams, reminding them that it’s not all about “I” but the team as a whole. After the big scrimmage I decided to wrap up field hockey for the day because basketball games were going to start in the gym. I then helped out with the scoreboard for the basketball team for about two hours and then went and watched the boys play to see how they communicated with each other and worked as a team. I had a great day just being able to teach the kids more about field hockey, but more importantly what it truly means to work as a team and communicate with your peers. Even as I watched the kids play basketball with their teammates is awesome!

            I can’t wait for another day at the club tomorrow!

No comments: