Thursday, May 22, 2008

High school Night..May 22nd

Today at the club...
I showed up around 1 o'clock I started off by doing the same old community service that I always do when I come to the club. After doing that for about a couple of hours, I hung around and spent time with the staff because its one of my last days here. Then when the kids showed up around 2:3o I went to the gym where they all are crazy over basketball. Then I went into the game room and played pool and games, once again teaching the little boys how to play pool because they were dieing to know. Then I went up stairs and helped out with homework for about 2 hours. That is one thing I love doing here because it really helps the kids concentrate on school work more than sports. Then after helping with the homework all the kids go down stairs to work on there athletic part of the day. Which is a fundamental that the Boys and Girls club offers to these kids to help them better themselves. Helping these kids out makes a difference when they will get older.
So after playing basketball and shooting around, we decided to hang out in the teen center where all the teens go and play Wii, and other video games. This is where I was able to talk to some of the kids about how school is for them, and how they juggle playing sports and school work at the same time. The kids love it, they are surprisingly good at both. That shows a lot of hard work.
After around 8:30 when the little kids were sent home, it was high school night where all the high school kids come out and play basketball until 10. I decided to stay and help the kids work on their basketball skills. I helped them even out the teams and I was helping them be able to make moves and also have the support of another teammate. I left the club around 9:30.
I think that being there helps the kids understand that there are opportunities out there in the world that if they keep working hard they can achieve their goals.

No comments: